Hot News

Car Accident Misconceptions You Musn’t Be Fooled By

On Wednesday, November 30th, 2016

Drivers want to get into a lot of things. Cool cars, mostly. But one thing they don’t want to get into is a car accident. Well, I hate to tell you this, but you’re not totally in control of whether or not you get into one. So you need to be armed with knowledge about car accidents before one happens to you. There are a few misconceptions lingering about car accidents. Make sure you get these out of your head!

car accident

Injuries appear instantly

Wrong. You may think you have walked away from a car accident unscathed. Or that those mild injuries will go away in no time. But the fact is that there are loads of injuries that don’t manifest properly for a long time. In fact, there are some out there that may not properly affect you for years. Keep this in mind before you dismiss medical attention of legal action. Late-appearing injuries are more common than you might think.

Getting medical treatment affects your insurance

Nope. A lot of people think that getting treated for an accident will see their insurance rate go up. It’s not just being involved in a car accident that increases your car insurance rate! You have to have been deemed to have been at fault in the accident. Drivers who are at fault in an accident will (and should!) see their rate go up in most cases. So don’t hesitate to get treatment for even a second.

No need for a lawyer!

Well, it’s true that you don’t always need a lawyer. If you’re driving along an empty road and you start looking at your phone and suddenly find yourself in a ditch? Then that was probably your fault, in which case you don’t need one. But if you’ve been in an accident involving another driver and you weren’t at fault? A lawyer may be essential. If you’ve been injured, you can replace the “may be” with “is”. George T. Bochanis Law Offices may be able to help you.

Information exchanges are sometimes a waste of time

An information exchange is never a waste of time. Just because no-one was injured and the car has only been scratched, you should be exchanging information. The other driver is, in fact, legally obligated to exchange information with you in the event of a car accident. Let’s say no exchange of information takes place. But then an investigation takes place. If you didn’t give the other driver information upon request, you may be accused of being at fault.

Blame is binary

Not quite accurate. Most people seem to think that either one driver or the other will receive 100% of the blame. Well, that is indeed the case much of the time. But fault determination actually uses percentages that can place blame on both drivers. You may only be deemed to have been 10% at fault against the other driver’s 90%. Heck, you could even be 5% to blame when two other drivers were 47.5% at fault. What I’m saying is that you can’t always evade all blame, regardless of how small!

comment closed